I finally graduated with my masters degree from Western Michigan University on Saturday. My degree is in literacy studies which is reading. I started taking Masters classes in the fall of 2004. This was shortly after Doug and I got married and I already had a year and a half of teaching under my belt. I took two classes a school year and wasn't in any rush to finish. Then I had Sydney in 2007 and took the fall semester off. After I had Sydney, I really started to get the itch to finish. I wanted to finish while she was little because I wanted to devote all my extra time to my family. Sydney was still young enough where she wouldn't remember me spending time away from her doing tedious research, papers, and reading assignments. Some people in the field of education say not to finish your degree if you are planning on seeking employment at another district. People say they won't hire you because they will have to pay you more because of your masters degree. I don't know how true that is but at least I'm done with taking classes and now I can devote all my time to my two little girls and my husband. I don't have to leave them one night a week to attend classes and I don't have to waste my weekends doing homework.
Doug did make me attend the graduation ceremony at Western. (I wasn't going to walk but he insisted.) My parents, sister, grandparents, and Doug attended the ceremony. Then we all went to a nice lunch. It was a great day and I'm proud to say I have a Masters degree. I do eventually want to get my doctorate degree. I'm going to take a long awaited break from school and let Doug go back and get his Masters. I have been selfish long enough and I'm going to spend all my extra time with my two little girls.

2 comments:
Congrats Brandy!! I cant believe you want to do more school for a doctorate?!?! LOL! Good for you! :)
Congratulations! It's great that you will have more time for your babies. They grow up so fast.
Post a Comment